Skip to main content

Eating our way through PRAGUE

Hungover as holy hell we took a bus (booked as what we thought was a train) from Munich to Prague.  I was highly concerned there weren't any barf bags at the ready considering Adam looked like he might hurl the entire ride there.  

A few hours later we arrived in Prague (sans projectile vomiting on the sweet couple in front of us - thank God) and all felt well in the world.  As we went in search of our hostel (Hostel Orange Prague) where we'd be staying for the next 4 days (worth noting that our private room at the Hotel Orange smack in the middle of the action of Prague cost us a whopping $180 total for four days!) we found ourselves delighted by the vibrant and bustling streets and food carts of Prague (I've always been a sucker for glog/mulled wine - especially when you can buy it on the street and drink it in public.  We got some along with Trdelnik - a slovak rolled pastry they sell everywhere that is served hot right off the spindle!)


(Mulled wine and Trdelnik makes everything allll right)

(Trdelnik cooking on the streets of Prague)


We spent the day walking around, eating hot dogs, drinking mulled wine, and eventually bar hopping.  Prague by night is quite the site to see with the lights on the Castle and Charles Bridget.

(Prague by night)

(More night shots)

Prague has a great nightlife for small bars and off we hopped to Heminway Bar (a bar inspired by Ernest Heminway) which had some fun literary inspired drinks that make you feel like you're quite the intellectual.  After 1-2 smarty pants drinks, we went in search of a Speakeasy bar and found ourselves at an odd, quirky, fun little place called "The Anonymous Shrink's Office" (if in Prague, it's worth a visit).  While at Hemingway's we'd chatted up a middle-aged couple from the US and brougt them along too. 

The Shrink's Office front door has no sign, just a creepy picture of a guy's face.  You press a red button and wait for someone to grab you.  Once inside, they took us through a bar and led us through a bookcase into a secret hovel where we were asked to order using the Rembrandt test (meaning you choose the picture that best represents your mood and the server uses the selection to carefully create your cocktail).  I ended up with something pretty fruity and not what I would've ordered if I had more than a picture to go off of (I guess my taste buds don't match my art of choice), but the experience was still really fun.


(The hidden bookcase door) 

 (Our new friends, until we ran out of things to talk about) 

Night 1 in Prague was a great success!  

Day 2 

The next morning when I woke up with a horrible cold/flu/plague (admittedly, this is something which seems to happen to me every long international trip I took).  My travel companion didn't seem particularly amused or empathetic that I could no longer smell, taste, or breathe without snot running down my face so I did my best to ask the Czech lady at the drug store for something to make it go away and put on a smiling face for our food tour and duration of the stay. 

Kyle and Napa Chris met up with us on day 2 of Prague for a pre-scheduled "Prague Food Tour" I'd talked us all into doing (Shannon and Natalie had done the same tour a week-ish earlier when they were in Prague and raved about their host buying round after round of drinks for them and all the delishish food so signing up was a no brainer).   The trip cost about $75 each and included a variety of stops with food and drinks and a tutorial at every one.  As our trip started and I couldn't taste anything, I knew I wasn't in for quite the experience as Nat and Shannon.  When we asked if we could have another round of drinks and our host said no - it was obvious they got the fun husband as the tour guide and we had gotten the wife.  

Overall, had I not desperately just wanted to crawl in bed and die instead of pretending to be able to taste the food we were getting - it probably would've been a decent experience.  That being said, I think they could've probably given us a few more drinks!

Below is our Prague food tour!

(Stop 1 - dark beer and some sort of fried meat and lunch meat)

(Stop 2 - schnitzel )

(Meat in gravy)

(Sandwiches)

(This one was good, but honestly not really sure)

(This was literally just chicken)

(More sandwiches) 

(Trout skins)

(Finally some drinks)

(We only got 1 of these each)


 (Group photo at the end of the trip.  Pro tip - ask for the guy guide and you'll get enough drinks to keep it really fun) 


Day 3
The next day was Adam's last day (I think we were both relieved he was leaving.  Him because he was clearly grossed out by how sick I was and didn't want to be anywhere near me.  Me because I was literally so sick that it was exhausting trying to pretend not to be sick so as not to further repel my travel companion and desperately just wanted to be in bed instead of having to try to entertain my travel companion).

We walked to the top of  the city and visited the Lennon wall (which was admittedly pretty cool) and walked down and said our goodbyes.


(Lennon Wall)


As soon as he'd left, I collapsed into the bed where I'd sleep for the next 36 hours (Kyle and Napa Chris admitted to me later that they were actually worried when they hadn't heard from me until it was time to leave for Budapest).

When I woke up on the 27th, I felt like a new person.  The snot running down my face and exhaustion was gone and I couldn't wait to see Budapest.  I hopped on the train at the station and off I was to meet Napa Chris and my girlfriend Anna Fontus (who had been visiting family in Germany and would meet us in Budapest) for new adventures!

Overall thoughts on Prague - beautiful and romantic place when with the right partner.  I would definitely consider passing through again!




Comments